Friday, December 26, 2008

worth celebrating

For Christmas this year I asked for one thing...this book, Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. I found it under the tree yesterday, from my boys. Today, an icy road day after Christmas day , we all found our bliss building Legos, playing new video games, watching David Gilmour, "live in Gdansk". Me, wrapped in a blanket my late-sweet grandma crocheted, I read Shauna's words as though were were long lost friends. This is her first book, but I understand there is another one in the works and I can hardly wait. This is a book about everything and nothing, about God and his goodness, and Shauna and her little piece of life, the big moments and the tiny moments all woven together to create a life worth celebrating. So, the little moments of making fluffy scrambled eggs and honey baked ham and toast with apricot preserves for our little family with Darren, and finding and reading words that sound like a friend and watching our boys build Legos on the rug in the family room on a icy day after Christmas day, those moments create a life worthy of celebration and thankfulness.
I do not "know" Shauna, but last summer Penny pointed her out to me while visiting a church in Grand Rapids. Penny thought I'd like her book. I found her blog. http://www.shaunaniequist.com/
If you have a moment, read a post or two, read Needles and Thread from her book. That chapter makes me cry big hanging from my jaw tears. Anyway, I emailed her for the weight that her words felt to me, the me that was and still is many days struggling on doing what I do... working on pretty things, painting, designing and crafting papers with scissors and glue, making messes big and small while trying to craft a business out of it all. It was the least I could do. And you know what? She wrote me back...more words to hang onto when it gets hard and scary and I get tired and full of self-doubt. So, months later I read her book in huge gulps in one afternoon and Penny is exactly right, I like her book. A lot.

4 comments:

PJ said...

I'm so glad you loved it. I did too. Such an easy read, so fresh. Look forward to her new book. I'm thinking she will be a speaker at Willow Creek at one or more of their upcoming conferences.

deborah said...

I'm so...ME. I thought maybe she'll speak at my house...and have...I don't know ...dinner.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book - I read it in one evening. I could relate to Shauna very easily and I felt that she could easily fit into my circle of friends and vice versa. She is funny,spiritual,smart - things a I love about my friends.I definitely connected with her feelings re: the church - so much hurt. Penny just told me her husband is now a/the worship leader at Willow. I'm going to check her site and see where she will be speaking in 2009.

PJ said...

I did have lunch with her once.